Practical issues for running the choir are handled by a committee plus individual choir members.
The job will involve:
- Leading weekly sessions: held (currently) Thursday evenings (during term-times), 19.30-21.30, at St Peter's School, Church Street, Burnley BB11 2DL. Other venues may be used and we are willing to consider alternative days and times of meetings.
- Helping choir members develop their singing and performance abilities with confidence.
- Liaising with the choir committee and choir members over repertoire but the MD has the final decision.
- Developing arrangements and, if possible, new songs on themes suitable for our choir.
- Producing sound files, lyrics and scores where appropriate.
- Liaising with the choir members who manage the website.
- Being available from time to time to lead the choir at campaign gigs, street singing, and other performances.
- Occasionally running workshops which the choir organises and are open to other singers.
- Liaising with the choir committee over issues regarding the organisation of the choir, including any scheduled sessions for which a replacement MD is needed, and attending our AGM and any other general meetings as possible.
Musical Director of a choir for 1 year (although not essential if candidate has teaching experience). The choir will be willing to help in finding a suitable mentor – our current Leader, Janet Russell, will be available for a transition if required.
- Leading a choir whose members have a wide variety of musical abilities.
- Able to communicate with enthusiasm, encouragement and good humour, to bring out the best in each choir member.
- Sharing the values of the choir for social justice, peace, ecology, equality and solidarity.
- Able to teach arrangements of songs in four-part harmony, by ear and unaccompanied.
- Living in or relatively near Burnley: i.e. willing and able to travel for weekly sessions as well as to support gigs/street singing on other days from time to time.
- Willing to work in collaboration with the choir committee and other members who do the background organisation.
- Musical Director of a community choir for 3 years
- Experience of leading singing sessions using Zoom and/or other online resources
- Able to compose and arrange songs on themes relevant to our choir.
- Able to produce sound files and Word documents.
- Willing to keep musical and choir leadership skills up-to-date through appropriate professional development.